Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's All About The Attitude

I think it is safe to say that we all experience things differently. I also think it is safe to say that each bride before a wedding feels some sort of stress or another. This may be an illogical assumption, however it is my fallacious fancy and it helps me from thinking that I may be slightly crazy. Like putting me in a straight jacket, shipping me off to Shutter Island, because I cannot make one more decision about hurricane candleholders vs. tea light candleholder, crazy.

Being an event planner and previously working on weddings in college, I have had my fair share of exposure to ideas and fantasies of what I wanted my own wedding to look like. I dreamed of always getting married outdoors and believe it or not, in Santa Barbara. I have been a closet subscriber to Martha Stewart's Weddings since it first published. I love events. I love the look of them, I love the design aspects, andI love the way people react when they all come together. I love the unusual; I love the out of the box thinking. I love the ambiance that something as little as 'up lighting' can create. However, it is one thing to plan another bride's wedding and it is another to plan your own. In my delusional fantasy, I did not think any of the tiny details would apply when it came to my own wedding. Boy was I wrong. As I sit here, on a Sunday morning, before Church, I am frantically looking up napkin folds and approving designs on my menu cards. I remind myself to constantly breathe and I constantly remind myself that it's not the wedding day that makes a marriage.

I once had somebody tell me in college something that has still stuck with me..."In the grand scheme of things, does (it) really matter?" These tasks, napkin folds, seating charts, schematics, and all the overwhelming decisions that must be made, I can see how losing perspective of what a wedding really is, is easy to do. Josh and I have vowed though to remember how the little things in the long run don't really matter. We constantly reflect and discuss how our marriage is more important than the day. The day is just a celebration to mark the start of our lives together. We are excited to build that life together and we know that is all that really matters. We plan on growing old with one another, yes, like Rose from the Titanic old and enjoy life, have children, love others, and be used however God wants us to be used.

"Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be."
Robert Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment